Thursday, April 21, 2011

DIY: chipotle burrito bowl

Like most decent Americans, I love me some Chipotle. Love, love me some Chipotle. However, there are obvious downsides.

1. 1,000 calories per burrito = fat Michelle
2. $6.50 per burrito = poor Michelle
3. 110% recommended daily sodium per burrito = heart attack Michelle

So, I have devised a way to have my burrito and eat it to, so to speak. And, you can too.

I used:

1 can diced tomatoes
1 can black beans
1 can corn
lettuce
shredded cheese
Herdez medium spicy salsa

DSC03334

First, I drained the tomatoes, beans, and corn, and combined them in a baking pan. Then I sprinkled them with e.v.o.o. and salt, and roasted for 10 min.

DSC03335

Second, I made a cup of rice in my handy-dandy rice cooker. Best Christmas gift I have ever received. Ok, that is an exaggeration, but it's definitely in the top 20.

DSC03336

Third, I mixed everything together. That's it. I served mine up with lettuce, salsa, and cheese. This recipe makes lots of left-overs, which keep really well for several days and are good either warmed up or straight from the fridge. Today I had some with yogurt, and tomorrow I am going to try it wrapped in a tortilla and garnished with cream cheese!

DSC03341

Anyone else have any fun waistline/money/heart saving recipes? We're trying to be a little more economical here in the Casa de Johnson, plus swim suit season is upon us, and I definitely need a little more work before I have shed my winter coat.

No comments:

Post a Comment