Wednesday, June 1, 2011

ode to my great grandma

A few weeks ago, my dad and I drove up to see my great grandma (she lives almost two hours away.) I was so excited to visit with her and take some lovely photos of her garden, her house, and of course the woman herself (although that one was a bit of a battle, she hates having her pictures taken.)

But, she's so nice that she let me. :)

FH000008-edit

I can easily say that my great grandmother is the coolest person I have ever met in my entire life. She's turning 96 this year, and she still lives alone, drives, sews, cooks, and tends flower and vegetable gardens. Up until a recent hand injury, she even made booties for premature babies and lab robes for a senior citizen center. She never wastes anything and could probably find a use for anything. I guess growing up in the depression does that to you.

FH000001-edit
FH000007-edit
FH000003

All her awesome accomplishments and abilities aside, she is the sweetest, most caring, even tempered woman you could know. When I was young, I would spend weeks at her house during the summer, learning to garden, sew, and perform little household tasks. She would read to me and patiently teach me to use a sewing machine. I loved those times and still look on them as some of the happiest of my life.

FH000006-edit

I have so many happy memories of sitting in that carport making/eating home made ice-cream, celebrating holidays (especially the 4th of July) with my family, and shelling beans.

FH000010-edit

The tree pictured above is her persimmon tree (of the persimmon cookie fame.) It has just started budding, and I plan to go back for another photograph in the early fall when it is fully laden with fruit.

I'm very lucky to still have my great grandmother at the age of 25. Even though I have often neglected all those important-but-distant people in my life, I am recently trying to reconnect and make up for lost time. I have been reminded recently by Corban's accident and other tragic events that there really is no certainty that people will be around as long as we think they will, and it's better not to regret lost opportunities. I'm fortunate enough to have some truly amazing family and friends...I hope I always remember not to take them for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment