Tuesday, March 22, 2011

On Mental Health

My mind is going in about a thousand different directions these days, but I've been really concentrating on focusing my mind to gradually improve my health in all aspects: mentally, physically, and spiritually.

I didn't really intend to do this at first. It just started out with me acknowledging and defining my issues with anxiety (mental) at the beginning of the year. I read this great interview on Yes and Yes with a woman dealing with severe anxiety and panic attacks. While I do not suffer from panic attacks, I have come to realize the past few months that many of the issues that I struggle with emotionally (irrational fears, discomfort in social settings, inability to relate to people, etc) really all stem from chronic anxiety. I have been working consistently the past three months to recognize these issues and combat their negative influences on my life, and I can't believe the difference it has made. My concentrated effort to confront irrational fears especially has lifted such a great weight. Simple tasks like going to an exercise class alone or auditioning for a choir or asking for help at a grocery store are no longer insurmountable feats.

I had no idea how important mental heath is. I've just been running around thinking that all I need to do to be healthy is eat some broccoli and move around every now and then. WRONG. Being able to interact with your surroundings is so hugely important to a healthy lifestyle. I now know this. Yaaay, me!

I hope to never again let fear and anxiety keep me from achieving my goals or enjoying my life. I've just got to keep it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment